Guidance for students who have specific learning needs, a long-term health condition, and/or a disability.

It is important to let us know if you have any specific needs that impact on your learning and studying with us. For example, if you have mobility needs, require medical storage facilities, medical guidance and/or specialist support.

We are aware that sharing details of a disability, long-term health condition or specific learning difference can be hard. However we need to know how to best assist you in your studies, and therefore we encourage you to identify your needs, and provide us with as much information as early possible.

Our application form requests this information, and it is helpful for us to know this in advance so that we can make any reasonable adjustments for you. Any information you disclose will be shown to our Learning Support Coordinator in the first instance. If she feels it is necessary to facilitate your admission interview, the tutors conducting your interview will also be told of your specific needs.


If you are successful at interview and accept a place at The Minster Centre, we ask you to provide a copy of your diagnostic assessment report if you have a specific learning difference (e.g. dyslexia or dyspraxia). You will probably have this from a previous learning environment. If you think you may have a specific learning difference but have not been assessed we advise you to make contact with a Specialist Teacher Assessor, or a Chartered Psychologist to undertake an assessment preferably before you begin studying with us. Unfortunately, The Minster Centre cannot offer advice or funding in regards to assessment.

If you have a long-term health condition or disability, please provide us with information about your specific needs, so that we can ensure that we can assist you with your studies at The Minster Centre. It would be helpful if you could provide us with a report from your doctor, consultant or another relevant professional.

Learning Support

Evidence of your specific learning difference, long term health condition or disability is passed to our Learning Support Coordinator who will explore how we can support you in your studies. Our Learning Support Co-ordinator may need to speak to you on the phone or meet with you in person, so that your needs are individually assessed, and a plan put in place that will benefit you as a student, and that can be delivered by The Minster Centre, as a small training organisation.

The Learning Support Co-ordinator acts as an advisor to staff and students. She is the person who deals with all issues related to disability and will work with you to create a Learning and Study Agreement. With your permission, this Learning and Study Agreement will then be passed on to relevant staff who need the information so as to best support you during your time at The Minster Centre.

Click here for a List of Useful Contacts, Resources and Funding Options

Scroll to Top